Get Active in the Park Partnership
Get Active in the Park is an innovative partnership between the National Park Service and Active Southern West Virginia. Trained Community Captains deliver free, beginner-level instructional programs to the New River Gorge National River region. Get Active in the Park empowers our community to see the outdoors as a space for health and wellness to take place. This project was made possible in part by a grant from the National Park Foundation.
Types of Activities
Together, we provide free, beginner-level instruction to the New River Gorge region in:
- Rocking Climbing
- Stand Up Paddle Boarding
- Tai Chi
- Fly Fishing
- River Water Aerobics
- Full moon hikes
- Kite flying
- Fire-fly walks
- Mountain biking and more – all within your National Parks!
Resources for more information and event schedules
Active SWV Resources
- Webpage calendar of programs and events https://activeswv.org/events/
- Monthly program flier https://activeswv.org/events/monthly-program/
- Find Active SWV on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ActiveSWV/
- Phone number (304) 254-8488
- Email us directly at [email protected]
New River Gorge National River Resources
- Visit the NPS Get Active in the Park page here.
- Take a look at one of our Get Active in the Park programs on Youtube. Watch our fly fishing video at https://youtu.be/AYxLUg-TtfE
- Find Get Active in the Park on Facebook here.
- For additional resources visit the Friends of the New River Gorge National River Facebook here.
- The Friends of New River Gorge National River, in partnership with the National Park Service, strives to enhance, support, and promote New River Gorge National River, Bluestone National Scenic River, and Gauley River National Recreation Area. Learn more at their website here.