Get Active in the Park Partnership
Get Active in the Park is an innovative partnership between the National Park Service and Active Southern West Virginia. Trained Community Captains deliver free, beginner-level instructional programs to the New River Gorge region. Get Active in the Park empowers our community to see outdoor spaces as a place for health and wellness to take place. Together, we can build a stronger and healthier community that sees our public lands and places for health and wellness activities. This project was made possible in part by a grant from the National Park Foundation.
Love Your Park 2019
About the Challenge
This challenge celebrates the National Parks of Southern West Virginia, New River Gorge National River, Bluestone National Scenic River, and Gauley River National Recreation Area. The challenge was originally conceived as a way to mark significant milestones at these sites in 2018. Now we continue this celebration into 2019!
Earn points by exploring the parks and sharing your LOVE for these places as a park steward. Earn 50 points or more to complete this challenge.
How to Participate
- Explore the National Parks of Southern West Virginia and complete a variety of activities from this challenge list. Check off activities upon completion; add up your points as you go. Build to a total of 50 points; at least ten points must be earned in the Friends, Volunteers, and Stewardship activity category. One form per person. NOTE: Each activity earns points toward only one log entry. Example: tour of Thurmond during Thurmond Train Day counts toward points earned for participating in that historic tour OR the special event, but not both.
- Return this completed challenge form, GUIDELINES-CHALLENGE-LoveYourPark, at New River Gorge National River visitor center to claim your award. Check nps.gov/neri for current center hours.
- Deadlines and awards: Earn 50 points by December 31, 2019 to earn a LOVE YOUR PARK challenge sticker and get your name included in a drawing for the grand prize, sponsored by Friends of NRGNR.
- First 100 finishers: receive a Love Your Park water bottle
- Park maps and site details are available at park visitor centers and at nps.gov/neri
- Learn and follow all park regulations. Always respect the rights of private property owners.
- Think safety first! Check at the park for updates on current site conditions. Current news will be announced on the park website and on social media.
- Help protect park resources by practicing Leave No Trace Outdoor Ethics. (LNT.org)
- Find group activities to join with the Active SWV/NPS Get Active in the Park programs and events.
Types of Activities
Together, we provide free, beginner-level instruction to the New River Gorge region in:
- Rocking Climbing
- Stand Up Paddle Boarding
- Tai Chi
- Fly Fishing
- River Water Aerobics
- Full moon hikes
- Kite flying
- Fire-fly walks
- Mountain biking and more – all within your National Parks!
Resources for more information and event schedules
Active SWV Resources
- Webpage calendar of programs and events https://activeswv.org/events/
- Monthly program flier https://activeswv.org/events/monthly-program/
- Find Active SWV on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ActiveSWV/
- Phone number (304) 254-8488
- Email us directly at [email protected]
New River Gorge National River Resources
- You can view the National Park Service’s Get Active in the Park web page at https://www.nps.gov/neri/planyourvisit/get-active-in-the-park.htm
- Take a look at one of our Get Active in the Park programs on Youtube. Watch our fly fishing video at https://youtu.be/AYxLUg-TtfE
- Find Get Active in the Park on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/GetActiveinthePark/
- For additional resources visit the Friends of the New River Gorge National River Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/friendsnewrivergorge/ . The Friends of New River Gorge National River, in partnership with the National Park Service, strives to enhance, support, and promote New River Gorge National River, Bluestone National Scenic River, and Gauley River National Recreation Area.